Joe Budden, who is known for his outspoken personality, will not be hosting Complex’s ‘Everyday Struggle’ in 2018, the company announced this week! Here’s everything to know about him!
Congratulations are in order for Joe Budden, 37, and his girlfriend, Cyn Santana! The couple — who has been dating for over a year — welcomed their first child together, a baby boy on December 15. They took to Twitter and Instagram to reveal the happy news on Friday, with Cyn writing, “Happy birthday baby boy. We love you so much,” in a tweet. Budden and Cyn shared photos of him holding their baby boy, and the newborn clenching her hand while in the hospital. Here’s everything to know about Budden!
1. Budden was born and raised on the east coast. — He was born in Harlem, New York, and was raised in Jersey City, New Jersey. According to reports, he was never a fan of school, and began abusing drugs at an early age. After a reported emotional altercation with his mother, he willingly checked into rehab in July of 1997. He’s spoken publicly about his struggles with MDMA [or Molly]. He revealed that he binged on molly in 2012 and barely survived. “I didn’t see a problem with the fact that maybe five days would go by without sleeping,” he told Fox 5 in 2013. “I was maybe hallucinating at times.” When taken, molly allows users to stay awake for long periods of time.
2. He got his start in rap by freestyling in high school. — Budden began rapping in high school, where he battled other students. He was later featured in various mixtapes alongside artists such as DJ Clue, 42, DJ Kayslay, 51, and Cutmaster C. After releasing solo music for years, including his hit song, “Pump It Up,” Budden has announced that he is retired as a solo artist. However, he still remains a member of the American hip hop group, Slaughterhouse. Budden is a host on Complex‘s Everyday Struggle web series with DJ Akademiks, 26, and moderator Nadeska Alexis.
3. Budden has beefed with Meek Mill and Drake. — Budden’s beef with the two rappers goes back years, as it all started when Budden cracked a joke about Meek Mill and his former girlfriend, Nicki Minaj, 35, during an episode of his podcast, “I’ll Name This Podcast Later”. Budden and Meek then went back and forth on Twitter and later sent seemingly subliminal disses to one another on social media. Then, he sparked a tiff with Drake when, on his same podcast, expressed that he wasn’t impressed with the rapper’s album, “Views”. While Drake didn’t directly address Budden’s comments, he and Budden also seemingly shared subliminal disses online.
4. He has two sons. — Budden has one son, Trey, 16, from a previous relationship, and a second son with his current girlfriend, TV personality and former Love & Hip Hop star, Cyn Santana.
5. Budden has had quite a few run-ins with the law. — A warrant for his arrest was issued in Hudson County, NJ back in 2010 for unpaid child support, according to reports. In 2012, Budden reportedly spent one night in jail over a $75 parking ticket. Then, in 2014, Budden was sought out by the NYPD after allegedly assaulting his girlfriend and stealing her cell phone. He later appeared in Manhattan Criminal Court on assault charges, grand larceny and robbery, after turning himself in.
MovieMagicians, tell us your favorite Joe Budden track!